The research group supervised by Prof. Wolfgang Konen from TH Köln has a collaboration with the Natural Computing group (head: Prof. Thomas H.W. Bäck) of the LIACS Computer Science department at Leiden University. On October,16th, 2015, a seminar took place in Leiden, Netherlands, in which both groups presented their recent research works.
The main topics of this seminar were:
- Multi-objective optimization
- Surrogate assisted global optimization
- Modeling techniques (Radial Basis Functions, Kriging)
Our group gave three talks to present our recent progress in developing a software for constrained optimization problems, we also discussed the existing challenges for solving such a problem. All three talks are listed as follows:
- S. Bagheri, W. Konen: A new repair method for constrained optimization.
- W. Konen, S. Bagheri: Common pitfalls in RBF modeling.
- S. Bagheri, W. Konen: Solving the G-problems in less than 500 iterations: Better understanding of surrogate modeling improves efficient constrained optimization.
The other three talks given by Dr. Emmerich (Assistant Professor at Leiden University) , Hao Wang and Bas van Stein (PhD students at Leiden University) are as follows:
- M. Emmerich: From Data to Decisions: Recent Advances and Future Challenges in Multicriteria Optimization and Decision Making
- H. Wang: Multi-point Efficient Global Optimization using Niching Evolution Strategy
- B. van Stein: Cluster Kriging
Interesting talks, lively discussions, friendly atmosphere and an active and motivated research team made last Friday very productive.