- born 1962 in Düsseldorf.
- Abitura 1980.
- Dipl.-Phys., University Mainz, 1986.
- Guest scientist at University of Virginia, Charlottesville, 1989.
- Dr. rer.nat., University Mainz, Physics and Mathematics, 1990.
- Ruhr-Universität Bochum (Neuroinformatics Institute), Head of Research Group "Pattern Recognition in Neuronal Architecture", 1990-1993.
- ZN AG (now MorphoTrust, Inc.), Bochum, Head of Image and Signal Analysis Group, 1994-2000.
- Thinking Networks AG, Bochum and Aachen, Head of Data Mining, 2000-2004.
- FH Düsseldorf, Interim Professor for Computer Science, 2003-2004.
- NuTech Solutions GmbH (now divis GmbH), Dortmund, senior scientific advisor, 2004-2008.
- TH Köln – University of Applied Sciences, Cologne, Professor for Applied Informatics and Mathematics, since 2004.
Memberships and Functions:
- Member of GMA Expert Group 5.14 Computational Intelligence
- Member of ACM SIGEVO Special Interest Group on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation
- Member of Research Center CIplus (Computational Intelligence plus) at Cologne University of Applied Sciences (since 2012)
- Member of Research Center CIOP (Computational Intelligence & Optimization) at Faculty 10 , Cologne University of Applied Sciences, (since 2011)
- Member of Research Center COSA (Computational Services in Automation) at Cologne University of Applied Sciences (2008-2012)
- Member of the program committee GECCO'2016 (Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, Denver, Colorado)
- Member of the program committee GECCO'2015 (Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, Madrid, Spain)
- Member of the program committee SKILL'2015 (Studierendenkonferenz Informatik, Cottbus)
- Member of the dissertation (PhD) committee: Universiteit Leiden (Patrick Koch, 2013)
- Member of the program committee ECDA'2013 (European Conference on Data Analysis, Luxembourg)
- Member of the program committee PPSN'2010 (Parallel Problem Solving from Nature, Krakau)
- Member of the program committee GECCO'2009 (Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, Montreal, Canada)
- Member of the program committee PPSN'2008 (Parallel Problem Solving from Nature, Dortmund)
- Reviewer for several scientific institutions: Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes, Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO), Munich University of Applied Sciences
- Reviewer for leading international journals: Applied Soft Computing (ASOC), Transactions on Computational Intelligence and AI in Games (TCIAIG), Neural Networks, International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery (IJCARS), Theoretical Computer Science (TCS)
- Laboratory head of the Mathematics laboratory at the Informatics Institute (since 2006)
- Festo-Bildungsfonds representative at Faculty 10, Cologne University of Applied Sciences (since 2010)
- Head of appointment committee "Applied Mathematics" (2013/14)
- Head of appointment committee "Mathematics and Applied Computer Science" (2008)
- Assistant head of appointment committee "Applied Mathematics" (2005/06)
- Member of the faculty council at Faculty 10, Cologne University of Applied Sciences (since 2006)
Hobbies – Jazz
(one of the hobbies I deeply like to pursue, if time permits… 🙂 )
Saturday, 29. Sep. 2017, 19:00: 4. WZK (WohnZimmerKonzert), Bochum, Wolfgang Konen Trio feat. Kalle Giese (voc), compositions by Thelonius Monk, Mongo Santamaria, Chick Corea, Wes Montgomery and others
- two pieces for listening under this link in my dropbox
- Thursday, 18. Oct. 2015, 18 Uhr: Concert in "Haus Witten", compositions by Herbie Hancock et al.
- Sunday, 29. Sep. 2013, 11:00: „Summertime in Autumn“, Lutherhaus, with Saskia Bordemann (voc), Fabian Siebold (dr) & Wolfgang Konen (p)
- Saturday, 29. Oct. 2011, 19:00: 3. WZK, Bochum, Wolfgang Konen Trio feat. Uwe Kranz (g), compositions by Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea & Wes Montgomery
- Sunday, 26. September 2010, 11:00: "Jazz meets Lukas" mit Marcus Brinkmann (b), Sigi Kühn (voc), Wolfgang Konen (p), percussive classics & jazz
- Sunday, 26. June 2010, 19:00: 2. WZK, Bochum, Wolfgang Konen Trio feat Leonardo Vargas (pos), compositions by Paul Desmond, Chick Corea und Antonio Jobim
- Sunday, 11. April 2010, 11:00: "Vocalisen – Wem Gesang gegeben" with Denise Rekowski & Wolfgang Konen Trio, Almuth Keller & Stefan Mross Trio
- Sunday, 21. June 2009, 19:00: 1. WZK, Bochum, Wolfgang Konen Trio, compositions by Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea and Antonio Jobim
- Tuesday, 9. Dec. 2008, 20:00: "Full House!" Big Band, public rehearsal
- Sunday, 4. May 2008, 11:00: JazzLabor Witten, with Wolfgang Konen Trio, compositions by Wayne Shorter